Interacting with a pet bird outside of it’s cage is one of the joys of living with a bird, but the home that is safe for us, may not be so safe for our feathered friends. The little day to day things that we take for granted can injure or kill a bird in the blink of an eye.
Ceiling fans are so common in homes these days we barely take notice of them. It’s easy to forget they are even on sometimes. If your bird can fly, it can fly into the fan. The spinning blades can easily mean a quick death. When interacting with a bird outside of it’s cage, play it safe and turn off the ceiling fan!
Non-stick coated pans have made clean-up in the kitchen a breeze, but an overheated coated pan releases fumes that are toxic to your bird. Recent studies have shown that even a moderately heated pan can still emit fumes, so just regular cooking can be dangerous. When cooking, make sure your bird is safely in it’s cage to prevent any accidents and when using non-stick pans make sure the kitchen is well ventilated to prevent any fumes from reaching your bird. Want to make life for you and your birds even safer? Toss the non-stick pans…the fumes aren’t good for you either!
Pans, sinks, tubs and toilets full of water might be attractive to your birds, but it doesn’t take much water for a bird to drown. Close those toilet lids when your birds are out playing and if you both need to bathe…take a shower together and skip the bath.
Non-stick coating isn’t the only inhalant that can be dangerous to your bird. You should never use aerosol sprays in any area where your bird may inhale the fumes. If you must use sprays in rooms the birds reside in, remove the bird from the area and ventilate. Once the fumes have cleared out, then it is safe to return your bird to the area. Some bird owners have reported illness or deaths when their birds were exposed to scented candles, perfumes, hair sprays, and even scented lotions! Be aware of the scents you use in your home and watch your bird for any changes in behavior when any of those items are in use.
We all know birds use their beaks to explore and to play. Like puppies and kittens, electrical cords can pose dangers to chewing birds. Never leave a bird unattended in an area where it can chew on cords. Power still runs through electrical cords when the item in question is turned off, so don’t think any plugged in cord is safe.
Getting a birds eye view of your home and taking precaution when your feathered friend is out with you is the best way to make home sweet home a bird safe home.